Wednesday 27 April 2011

Frozen Heart


         People today have a very busy life even to look around them on what is happening. So when we are doing nothing even then we have something to do to keep ourselves busy like listening to songs in our iPod or listening to our favorite RJ from our favorite show on the radio. I have indeed most of the times seen people keeping them self busy even in a crowded bus or train by pushing those earplugs and listening to music. So now people have time only for themselves but not for others and that’s the reason why most of us have become very cold towards others or should I say we have become so practical that many do not bother to even provide a little helping hand to the one who is in need. I have seen many a times that when I asked any stranger for help and I reply them back with a smile followed by a thank you, there are very few who smile back. I really find it weird but why have most of us become so cold in our heart? I do not understand that.

        I would like to share a few incidents which occurred while I was travelling in the local train. I have failed to understand how people can be so cold at times that they hardly care for the ones who are in pain. Here I am talking about one such thing which I have witnessed myself. It was a regular day when I was on my way to office so I got into the local train which I normally boarded every morning. It wasn’t overly crowded for a daily passenger like me but it would be for the rest who weren’t used to that crowd. I found my way in and luckily got myself a seat, definitely lucky day for me. A few seconds later I watched a mother and her daughter, who was pregnant struggle their way inside. The daughter was talking to her mother after getting in but she was simultaneously looking for a seat for herself and her old mother. But somehow she managed a little room for herself where she could comfortably stand but her eyes were wandering here and there looking for an empty seat or may be someone who could offer her one. There were young girls and ladies who were sitting in front of her but no one bothered to offer her a seat. Those girls were either busy listening to music on their iPod or gossiping or watching the view outside. No one even gave a look at that pregnant lady. I was sitting not too far and was watching her and the others around her. So unable to look at the sight I called that woman and offered my seat. There was another similar incident which I faced very recently while returning back home from office. Normally I don’t get to sit while returning back but that day there wasn’t much rush in the train so I easily got in and won myself a seat. Soon as the train crossed the station and arrived into the next, a very old woman made her way in and gasping for air. She was a lean old woman whose one hand was busy holding a very big heavy bag while there was another duffle bag which was hung on one of her shoulders. She was standing right in front of me looking busily here and there for a place where she could sit and relax and put aside her heavy luggage. But no one cared to see her tired face or bothered to offer her a seat. So this time too I called her and offered mine. There was another incident when I was in the bus going for my computer classes. There was a very young girl who was with her mother. The little girl was tired and could not stand anymore and kept looking at her mother. I felt really sorry for her so I called the girl and made her to sit on my seat. Immediately her mother pulled her hand and sat down. Poor little girl, her mother occupied the seat instead of her. I was in total awe and could not help myself but laugh at the lady’s behavior. There is just one more story I would like to share with you. This one too is something which happened in the local train with an elderly man who earns his living by signing songs and begging for alms. He carries a mandolin with him and sings typical Bengali folk songs which are mesmerizing to hear and it takes you to a different world when you listen to his songs. Very magical it is and soothing at the same time which really acts like one for me after a whole tiring day of work. Few women kept teasing him for getting inside the ladies compartment and making fun of him. I found it so absurd because the one who was making fun of the old man was not only the one who was laughing but there were others who joined her silly jokes too. How can someone laugh at someone that way? That is so terrible and annoying.

        All I am trying to say here is why have most of us become so insensitive and why do we not care about others who are in need or who are suffering. A bit of a help would not cost us much, isn’t it? Why is it that we look so coldly at the one who’s in need hoping and praying that the situation changes soon for that person without us trying to make any efforts to change it ourselves. I am not here to preach anyone but just take a moment and think for a while on how many times you have been so cold towards a stranger who needed your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment